It has reached a saturation point where it makes steady income, it earns X $ more every year but growth rate is where X$ more every year is 0% growth. So how do you grow? Implement new ideas, right? But people these days are smart enough that they want to make millions themselves. So they start their own firms with their own idea. But there are billions of internet users and even if 1/1000th of them have some ideas, then it is worth billions of $. so now google launches a 10 power 100 ideas scheme, saying "we want to help people" (you want to help people? Invest in electric cars research and then save the planet) so we want your ideas. We buy ideas from great minds for $10 mi. and we will help people (and at the sametime help ourselves by making few $billions more). So who wins at the end of the day?
And Google gives every software for free. Yeah, it does not make money right? What about the share price of Google? Does it not grow everytime it does something? hey, but still the software is free. So lets talk about the popular software that google offers free.
1. Chrome - Everyone is right now talking about Chrome. But would you buy a browser when IE, Firefox and Opera (also Safari) are out there - free (and kind of better in many ways).
2. Search - Ok, it is a great software. I have no complaints.
3. Gmail - Come on! I can give you loads of websites that offer free email.
4. Google toolbar? I really hate toolbars and google search engine after using the single-sign-on keeps track of my browsing history. It should be off by default. I do not want anyone to keep track of what I browse. Some might find it useful, but trust me, many does not. I keep my browser on in my laptop, leave it open or ask my brother to use it. Later I log into my google account and guess what I can see what websites I browsed.(actually what my brother browsed). That really sucks.
5. Google Analytics - again, we are submitting ourselves to Google. Come, rip my information off and give it back to me free. Do you know, you could gather all the data by yourself and use Excel to project many different charts. As long as scum-CEO who does not know ABC of web would not want to invest in a developer and instead invests in G . A.
Anyway, the point is just because Google Search is the best, it does not mean every fart that google leaves is great. And hey, do not think google would ever beat Apple IPhone (their phone sucks and would suck). Google Docs, by the way suck too. I prefer to buy a 79$ Microsoft license for 3 pc than to work with Web docs. Do not let firms rip your ideas off. You can be another google, if you work hard and if you are confident.